Master of Education (M.Ed.)
M.Ed. (Master of Education) is a professional course that prepares teachers for upper primary or the middle level, secondary and senior secondary at the school level according to National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE). This degree is mandatory for teaching in higher primary and high schools in India. The program focuses on enabling student-teacher to reflect critically on the perspectives of education and integrate theory and practices to facilitate active engagement of learners for the knowledge creation.
The qualification required for entry in M.Ed. course is Bachelor of Education(B.Ed)
The M.Ed. program at Guru Nanak College of Education is designed to train the teachers to meet the challenges of emerging trends and competitive education sector. To meet this challenge, the curriculum of M.Ed. course is organized around four specific academic components. The program structure comprises of the foundation courses, experimental learning, methodology and optional courses.
- Instructions in all programs is arranged in both English and Hindi languages
- As a unique feature, work experience through learning a craft has been made an integral part of the teacher preparation program. The crafts may include gardening, paper craft, soft toy making, wood work, tie and dye, music and interior decoration.
- Lot of emphasis is given on personality development of teachers and students. co-curricular activities and games are integral components of teacher-training program.
- Unique teacher internship program
- Professional development programs for teachers, educators, educational administrators, curriculum developers and others
- Useful material is provided to the teachers and teacher educators
- Identifying and overcoming the gender inequalities in schools, classrooms and text books etc.
Modern laboratories for social studies, science and psychology, and educational technology
Unique features of the program
The M.Ed. program at Guru Nanak College of Education is unique as the curriculum not only offers foundational and professional knowledge courses but also provides experimental learning in the form of:
- Creativity in teaching
- Intensive teaching workshops
- Pedagogical methods
- Soft skills training
- Critical understanding of information and communication technology
- Counseling and mentoring sessions
- Opportunities to develop social sensitivity
The M.Ed. program opens multiple windows for the future. Being a part of professional teaching education program, students are prepared to teach joyfully and skillfully. After completion of the course, students can start their career as a TGT/PGT teacher in government or private schools or colleges to teach students of upper primary or middle level, secondary and senior secondary students. After this program, they can go for Ph.D. in education.